The Gran Canaria School of Languages has been offering Spanish classes to foreigners since 1964. The faculty is highly specialised and experienced in the teaching of Spanish as a foreign language. A member of other Spanish and local cultural and professional associations, the school is also recognised since 1986 by the German government of Hamburg and Hessen as a collaborator in teaching Spanish (Bildungsurlaub) for professional training.
The school owns 3 buildings near each other and all of them only a few meters from the beach of Las Palmas (Canteras Beach). In one of the building the school is located, the other two are the residences.
Starting dates: Standard Group: first Monday of every month for beginners for as many weeks as desired. Students with other levels can join this group as it progresses through the different levels.
- Philology, Languages, Literature
- Language Courses
- Language Courses and Cultural Immersion Programs
- Spanish Language and Culture
- Spanish Courses
- Spanish Language and Literature (in Language Schools)
- Social and Cultural studies
- Spanish Culture and Society
- Spanish Civilization and Culture
- Language and Culture
+ 34 928 267 971
C/ Dr. Grau Bassas 27, Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, Gran Canaria, Spain, 35007
City Council Tourism Board of Las Palmas, founding member of ACCEE (Canary Assoc. of Spanish Teaching Centers). The school was also a founding member or IALC (Intl. Assoc. of Language Centres). Authorized by the German Gvmts. of Hamburg and Hessen for Bildungsurlaub.
Gran Canaria School of Languages teaches both General Spanish and Spanish for specific purposes all year round and at 6 levels (from A1-beginner to C2-proficiency).
Depending on the level and the type of course, the number of students in each class can vary, but it never exceeds 14 students.
Each lesson has a duration of 50 minutes. All classes begin on Monday at 9 a.m, while the oral placement test takes place at 8:30.
Here are the several tuition options available at Gran Canaria School of Languages:
- Standard course: 20 weekly lessons (levels A1 to B2), 15 weekly lessons at the C1 level, during 1 to 24 weeks.
- Standard course 2 weeks: 20 weekly lessons for 2 weeks, for beginners.
- Course 25 hours: this course is a combination of the standard course with daily 1-hour private lessons.
- Course 30 hours: this course combines the standard course with 2 daily hours of private instruction.
- Private course: for Spanish for specific purposes, C2 level, or preparation to the DELE exam.
- Semi-private course: it is a private course shared by two students of the same level.
- Course for Erasmus students: instruction focused on the special needs of exchange students before they join the local university.
- PC course: for levels A1 and A2, under the supervision of a Spanish teacher.
Here are the areas of expertise covered in Spanish for professional purposes courses:
- Spanish for cabin crew members
- Spanish for Health services
- Business Spanish
Gran Canaria SOL also provides the following courses:
- Spanish Culture and Civilization
- Spain's History: the Catholic Monarchs
- Spain's History: the end of the dictatorship and the transition to democracy
- Spanish Renaissance and Baroque Painting
- Spanish Literature: the Generation of 1927
- Spanish Literature: Don Quixote
- Spain's Press
- Colloquial Spanish
- Latin American Spanish
Minimum age is 16.
All payments must be made in advance.
- Absolute beginners: no knowledge required.
- Other levels: corresponding knowledge.
A placement test (oral and written) will be made before starting the course.
- 4 weeks Standard Course + single room: 1374 €.
- 4 weeks Standard Course + shared room: 1227 €.
- 1 weeks Standard course: 170 €
- 2 weeks Standard course: 300 €
- 3 weeks Standard course: 450 €
- 4 weeks Standard course: 450 €
- Additional week: 150 €.
- Private tuition in the morning: 330 €/10 hours.
- Private tuition in the afternoon: 300 €/10 hours.
- Semiprivate tuition (2 tudents): 420 €/10 hours.
- 10 Extra lessons with teacher, for students already in a group: 235 €.
- 10 Extra lessons with computer course under the supervision of a teacher, levels A1 and A2: 65 €.
- Tuition material and certificates/diplomas are not included in the tuition price.
Prices are per week. All rooms with private bathroom. Half-board included.
- Single room in “Best Residence”: 300 €.
- Single room in “Plus Residence”: 350 €.
- Shared room in “Best Residence”: 200 €.
- Shared room in “Plus Residence”: 210 €.
- Two coming together in “Best Residence”: 360 €.
- Two coming together in “Plus Residence”: 370 €.
No financial aid.
The school offers two residences next to the beach and within walking distance from the school. Single and double rooms are offered, all with private bathroom. Rooms are equipped with a satellite TV, free DSL internet access (no Wi-Fi) and a safety deposit box. Bed sheets and towels are provided.
A common room equipped with refrigerator, toaster, microwave, coffee-machine, water boiler, sink, dishes and cutlery may be used by all residents. No cooking hub available.
Included in the price is cleaning of the room once a week, washing (not ironing) of personal clothing and halfboard (breakfast and lunch on class days, only dinner on week ends or festivities).
- Intensive group-courses in General Spanish, private or semiprivate tuition, preparation to the DELE and DIE examinations, Spanish for specific purposes.
- Accommodation in single or sjared/double rooms with private bathroom, satelite TV, free internet access, cleaning of the room, washing of personal clothing and half-board.
- Weekly excursions to places of interest on the island, visits to folk dances, museums, film discussions, lectures, dinners, outings.
- Sports activities, surf courses, scuba diving, trecking, mountain-bike, etc, can be organized on demand.