The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello (Andres Bello Catholic University) is a Catholic college owned and operated by the Society of Jesus. The school’s foundation and charter was enacted by the Venezuelan Bishops in 1951, and in 1953 the university began enrolling students. The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello (UCAB) is located in Caracas, the capital city of Venezuela. The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello is a nonprofit institution; the source of the school’s income is derived from tuition stipends and student pension contributions; personal donations; gifts from legacies and alumni; and from businesses and individuals in Caracas and surrounding communities that want to link their name to this prestigious Institution. The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello has also benefited occasionally from derivatives of any lawful agreement whose conclusion is deemed appropriate. The collective proceeds of all income that comes into the university is used for instructor’s salaries and the general upkeep of the institution.
Universidad Católica Andrés Bello: Objectives and Mission
The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello operates according to several aims and objectives. These include, but are not limited to:
- As a community of students, faculty and alumni sharing a common Christian faith, the Universidad Católica Andrés Bello aims to seek out the truth through all of its programs and strengthen the transcendental values of all its students and interested parties.
- The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello is an institution at the service of the nation of Venezuela and is responsible for work in guiding the life of the country through its doctrinal contribution to the clarification of national problems.
- The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello aims to take a leadership role in education, culture and science. To fulfill this mission, all of its activities are geared to create, assimilate and disseminate knowledge through research and teaching; to complete the comprehensive training commenced in previous educational cycles, and to form and develop the professional and technical equipment needed for the nation's development and progress.
- The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello is guided by a definitive spirit of democracy, social justice and human solidarity, and is open to all currents of universal thought, which will be presented and analyzed in a scientifically rigorous manner.
According to the website for the Universidad Católica Andrés Bello, the institution considers the following items tantamount to its specific mission:
- To contribute to the personal development of the students of the university and to encourage them to use the Christian values they learn while studying here to better their respective communities, both now and in the future.
- The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello strives to accelerate the process of national development, raising awareness of its problems and promoting development. In doing this, the university therefore accords special importance to the promotion of its human resources, particularly those offered by its students, to achieve the development of the whole person—body, mind and spirit.
- To work for the integration of Latin America as a whole, and to safeguard and enrich their common historical and cultural heritage. The university is constantly working to better the plight of the people living on the South American continent by stressing the importance of social justice; by teaching students how to overcome the prejudices and differences that divide and separate nations; and by establishing a lasting peace based on deep ecumenical humanism.
- To model the importance of positive action—action that leads to community improvement—and to encourage its students to act for positive change, especially in the most marginalized sectors of the national community.
- To promote to its students the importance of science, philosophy and theology as a vehicle towards achieving a higher, universal and more comprehensive knowledge of the world we live in.
Universidad Católica Andrés Bello: Teaching and Research
The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello is an educational leader in Venezuela and an institution that takes a primary role in education, culture and science. To fulfill its aforementioned mission, all of the school’s activities involve the establishment, integration and distribution of knowledge through focused teaching and research; the completion of each student’s earlier education and comprehensive training; and the development of professional and technical equipment—the result of student and faculty and research—that is required for Venezuela’s progress as a nation.
The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello offers students a world-class education in a variety of targeted subject areas, leading to both undergraduate and graduate degrees. Undergraduate programs typically span four to five years in duration depending on course availability, while graduate programs, leading to a Master’s of Arts or Master’s of Science Degree, generally take an additional 2-3 years to complete.
As a private institution of higher learning, the university is able to maintain smaller-than-average class sizes as compared to the larger public schools, giving students more opportunities to connect directly with instructors—instructors who are hired specifically for their expertise in a given subject (or subjects) and who have an abundance of real-world experience in the field in which they teach.
The Universidad Católica Andrés Bello is also committed to theoretical and scientific research in a number of areas of knowledge. This research is performed at both on-campus and off-campus centers, where researchers perform their work in accordance with the objectives (outlined in the previous section) set out in the Organic Statute of Andres Bello Catholic University.Study Programs:
- Business Administration
- Human Studies and Services
- Social Work
- International Relations
Type of studies: University Degree Programs
Language of instruction: Spanish
Location: Final Av Paez, edificio de aulas, Montalbán Parroquia La Vega, Caracas, Venezuela, 1020
Telephone and Fax: Tel.: +58 2 4074190 Fax.: Not available