Segovia, Spain

Segovia is a Spanish city and the capital of Segovia province, which is in Castile-Leon. It takes an hour to reach Segovia from the Madrid’s north, and is at 40057 N, and 4010 W. There are 55,586 numbers of people living in Segovia’s municipality. Primarily an Arevaci town, it was merged with the province of Rome of Hispania Tarraconensis, which comes on the way from Emerita, if you go to Caesaraugusta. The places are known as modern Mérida and modern Zaragoza respectively. Antiquity coins are minted here.

St. Fructus and martyrs Engratia and Valentine, who are his siblings, are Segovia’s sponsor saints. Castile’s Isabella was crowned in the St. Michael’s church in 1474, which is near the Cathedral.

The older city’s situation lies on the top of a narrow and a long promontory. There are many monuments situated there which includes the cathedral, the famed aqueduct of the Rome, besides the Alcazar and many other churches built in the style churches in Rome are built, including San Millan, San Martin and San Esteban. The old city is the World Heritage site acclaimed by the UNESCO, and the walls that surround it are the ones constructed in the 8th century, and c full renovation work was carried out in the 15th century. At the place where the histories section’s entrance is located, the aqueduct concludes. The historic section was built in the late 1st to the beginning of the 2nd century by the people of Rome to fetch water from the Cold River, located 18 km away, and needing an elevation at the final kilometer from Sierra de Guadarrama to the old town walls. The portion which is elevated is given strong support by a 166 arch marvel of the engineers, and 120 pillars in both the levels. Its make comprises of 20,400 big granite rocks, and blocks which are joined without clamps or mortars. The height is the maximum at the Azoguejo plaza, at 100.53 ft or 20.10m. The portion which is elevated had an inscription once but now just the holes of those letters of bronze can be found.

The Alcazar commenced during the 11th century, and is alighted at the promontary’s tip, and towers the part of the country located below. At the conclusion of the 11th century commences Alcazar’s history when King Alfonso VI recaptured lands lying to river Deuro’s south to extend beyond Toledo. Segovia was then re-inhabited and the general belief is that the castle’s reconstruction commenced at that time. In the Middle Age, the most preferred resident of the Castile’s King was Segovia’s Alcazar. Right till the 16th century, every King kept on adding new features to the building. Then, King Philip II constructed the slate roofs and the spires which were conical. In 1862, a fire devastated the roofs but they were restored back to the original very soon.

The Segovia Cathedral is located in the city’s center. Known as the last famous cathedral of the Gothic, it was built by Gil de Hontanon, a famed architect between the periods of 1522 and 1577.

Leave a comment