Study in Dortmund, Germany
Study in Dortmund, GermanyThe aptly named “green metropolis” of Dortmund, Germany is an excellent location for students wishing for both big-city highlights and natural landscapes. The centuries-old city is one of Germany’s most sought-after locations for educational opportunities, thanks to its wide varieties of universities and international schools. With an average student body of 20,000 students, most institutions in Dortmund offer a full range of courses for native and foreign students. Due to the increasing presence of high-tech industries and business, technical schools have recently sprouted all over Dortmund. The growth of research institutes has also inspired a growth in science studies.
It is notable that many schools, such as the Dortmund Institute of Journalism, are actually institutes belonging to one school: TU Dortmund. In fact, a majority of educational facilities located in Dortmund will be related to TU Dortmund, ranging from biochemical engineering to social science.
Though Dortmund still remains one of the largest urban areas in Germany, students can also enjoy impressive woodlands and parks nestled around the outskirts of the city. There are also dozens of historical sites available for exploration, from medieval architecture to World War II memorial sites. Students can also enjoy either city-operated or student-run cafes, bars and nightclubs.
Some considerations for future students in Dortmund include:
- Majority of courses taught in German, with some English
- Not as large of an international student body.
- High amount of research institutes.
- History as a mining town.
Major Fields of Study in Dortmund
Dortmund’s placement as a leading city in technological industries makes it a prime location for students interested in IT, production technology, medical technology and related fields. In fact, the largest university in Dortmund – TU Dortmund – is essentially a technical school with many different departments. There is often a focus on natural and engineering sciences as well as technical training. Multiple science and research institutes exist in Dortmund, either independently or as part of a university facility, to support these studies. However, Dortmund’s long-standing history also makes the city a prime location for art and design studies. Creative students from across the globe, travel to Dortmund for the artistic programs and exposure the city offers.
What follows is a list of the major studies sought after in Dortmund, Germany:
- Technology and IT
- Art and design
- Applied sciences
There are scores of courses available at Dortmund schools, not just the select few listed here. This list only represents the studies that stand out in Dortmund’s educational system.
Schools of Dortmund
The following schools, while prominent in Dortmund, do no represent the entirety of higher education institutions in this German city. These are, however, some of the most widely attended Dortmund-based schools.
- TU Dortmund is the largest universities in Dortmund with over 16 schools. It possesses several research institutes and is best known for its scientific and technological programs. Student activities tend to revolve around global or business initiatives and music programs.
- The Dortmund University of Applied Science and Arts (or Fachhochschule Dortmund) provides an excellent range of courses in the arts and technology. It is specifically geared towards arts and holds a number of exhibitions and public projects.
- The International School of Management (ISM) is a private business university with campuses across the globe. It focuses on international relations, business and economy. It offers hands-on training with international companies and is considered on of the best business schools in Germany.