Study in La Paz, Bolivia
Study in La Paz, BoliviaDon’t avoid La Paz just because you’ll find a strong government presence! The city is a scenic, hilly metropolis tucked into the western edge of Bolivia. Along with being the cultural giant of Bolivia, the city is both a tourist’s dream and a fantastic destination for students. There is a multitude of higher education options available in La Paz that is unrivaled in most of the country.
Universities abound in La Paz, whether in general studies or specialized fields. There are dozens of these institutions scattered across the city, most of which hold a place as Bolivia’s highest acclaimed universities. However, many of these institutions are new, just having received accreditation. Public universities like the Universidad Mayor de San Andrés are still the most popular, while private universities are more rare and have a lower enrollment rate.
There are several language schools available for both national and international students. Languages like English, Spanish, German and others can be studied at various levels. Some other schools specializing in teacher training and technology also exist, though they may be more difficult to gain an entry into.
There are a variety of attractions and activities available to students in La Paz. There are several famous markets that deserve a shopping spree, as well as several historical and artistic museums. The scenic views, coupled with an authentic Latin American cuisine, create a cultural experience unlike any other. Adventurers can expect biking through the mountains, canoeing, kayaking and exciting tours through Bolivian forests.
Some other considerations for students studying in La Paz include:
- Majority of courses taught in Spanish
- Somewhat tumultuous educational policies changes and funding.
- Some institutions are religiously affiliated.
Major Fields of Study in La Paz
Despite the turmoil that has affected higher education institutions in Bolivia over the years, the universities in La Paz have survived, delivering a diverse course set to their student body. Thanks to major universities with multiple faculties, students can feel comfortable, knowing that almost any field of study will be available to them.
However, there are a few fields that take precedence in La Paz’s schools.
- Technology and mechanical studies.
There is a long list of other studies students can choose to pursue in La Paz. Candidates should thoroughly research available programs before making a decision on one of these Bolivian schools.
Schools of La Paz
The schools listed below are examples of several major universities in the La Paz area. While they will provide a glimpse into the types of institutions offered in La Paz, there are many more diverse higher education opportunities for students.
- The University of San Andrés or Universidad Mayor de San Andrés is a public university with research institutes in health and technology studies. With multiple diverse faculties, students can pursue a variety of degrees in education, engineering, law and other studies.
- The Universidad Católica Boliviana San Pablo is a Catholic university with a campus in La Paz, as well as in Santa Cruz, Tarija and Cochabamba. It has various programs in education, social studies and economics, as well as other areas. It aims to incorporate religious studies alongside traditional education.
- The Universidad Loyola is a university focusing in engineering studies, though some business and technology studies are also pursued. It has several impressive workshops and close teacher-student communication practices. It also has a research institution for those focusing in veterinary medicine.