Study in La Plata, Argentina
Study in La Plata, ArgentinaThere are few more elegantly and carefully constructed cities on the planet than La Plata. The star-shaped city shines out as one of Argentina’s most important architectural icons and educational purveyors. In fact, one of the main reasons for the founding of the city was to install a national university – meaning the very foundations of La Plata began with the desire to spread higher learning.
The higher education system in Argentina has just recently been revised to match some international standards. Almost all institutions now offer degrees at an associate, bachelor, master and even doctorate degree level. Student enrollment rates, however, are still relatively low due to education costs and socio-economic factors. Regardless, Argentina has seen a rise in interest for higher education among its student population. The relatively new city of La Plata already possesses four universities as well as an acclaimed international school.
Public institutions in Argentina have the surprising benefit of being absolutely free; students are not required to pay for their education, which is funded by the government. The private institutions, however, do not share this generosity. La Plata still remains, however, a main study destination for students across Argentina.
Students will be filled with amazement at the complex and beautiful design of La Plata. The city includes bustling plazas, a world history museum, a famous medieval-inspired cathedral and captivating, ornate government palaces. When students tire of these sites, students can sample fresh Argentine cuisine, catch a live outdoor street performance or enjoy dancing to live music at a local nightclub.
Other considerations for students seeking studies in La Plata include:
- Majority of courses taught in Spanish.
- Some traffic issues.
- Some institutions are religious affiliated.
Major Fields of Study in La Plata
The National University of La Plata has brought an impressive variety of post-secondary studies to this unique city. If not for this main university – more or less devised and founded at the creation of the city itself – the educational opportunities in La Plata would be extremely limited. However, after some educational reform and government funding, students can expect comprehensive courses in anything from geophysics to journalism.
Students in La Plata, though, do have a reputation of pursuing some studies over others. Science fields, for example, are far more popular and readily available to students, as opposed to liberal arts studies. Law, legal studies, economics and health sciences enjoy some level of preference over other studies, due to student enrollment as well as a higher presence of courses related to these fields. As a result, some of the major fields of study in La Plata include:
- Law and legal studies
- Economics and economic science
- Medicine and health science
Architecture shares a prominent place in preferred La Plata studies due to the very history of the city, which is an architectural masterpiece to many. It is one of the most well-planned and carefully designed cities in South America. There is also one technical school that only majors in engineering degrees, making this another popular study.
Schools of La Plata
Since there are only four universities in La Plata, the list below provides a brief but comprehensive look at the higher education institutions available in the city. Along with these three universities, students can also attend an international school mainly intended for translators (Traductorado) or a technical school focusing in engineering (National Technological University, La Plata).
- The National University of La Plata is the main public higher education school in La Plata, contrived alongside the founding of the city. Despite the delay in its initial opening, the university now houses over a dozen faculties, as well as some of the nation’s most famous choirs and classical music groups.
- The Universidad Católica de La Plata is a Catholic university with leading research projects in law, architecture and the humanities. The school has four separate campuses in health sciences, making this a preferred field at the school, and even offers free, helpful health and development programs to students.
- The Universidad Notarial Argentina is a specialized university with a campus in La Plata. The degrees offered by the university are focused in areas of law, legal studies, accounting, banking and business. Most of the studies at this school are offered to graduates already holding a related degree.