Study in Larissa, Greece
Study in Larissa, GreeceThere is a reason that the Greek city of Larissa has existed since the Paleolithic era. This legendary city, steeped in mythology, has long been the center of travel, trade and growth for the Greek people. It seems appropriate that students would be drawn to this city for post-secondary studies, the same city where many ancient Greek minds congregated to expand their knowledge.
Unlike larger cities such as Athens or Patras, Larissa does not have the luxury of possessing a huge number of academic institutions. The universities and colleges, for the most part, specialize in certain fields – as opposed to being the large, general-studies universities in other cities. Language, business and technology are some of the focuses of higher education institutions in Larissa. This is actually typical of Greece’s schools in many areas. The institutions can be T.E.I.’s (Technological Educational Institutes), international college programs or foreign schools with campuses in Larissa. Most of these schools are public, as private institutions are discouraged in Greece.
Much of Larissa’s population is involved in agricultural work, meaning students can enjoy lovely natural scenes amidst archeological excavations. In fact, the location is excellent for any student interested in ancient history, as there are multiple historic sites and an archeological museum. Other activities include sporting events and live music – two great experiences to have alongside a dinner of traditional Greek cuisine.
Some considerations for students wishing to study in Larissa include:
- Majority of courses taught in Greek, some in English
- Somewhat unstable economic status.
Major Fields of Study in Larissa
Since Larissa’s main university is a technological institute, it is hard to find as wide a range of studies in this city as it is in Athens or Thessaloniki. As a result, the popularity of programs is based on the number of offered courses in certain subjects, as well as student enrollment. The surrounding area of Larissa also affects the popularity of some studies. Agricultural studies, for example, receive high enrollment due to its importance to the rural locations near Larissa.
Examining the kinds of specialty schools, international programs and university courses available in Larissa, one can easily see that the following fields of study have acquired more attention than others:
- Greek language
- Business and business administration
- Agricultural studies
Some tourism studies, as well as a select few engineering programs, also receive a higher amount of attention and attendance from student bodies in Larissa.
Schools of Larissa
There are several other schools in Larissa besides the ones listed below. However, these are the most well known, and provide a comprehensive overview of the types of institutions students can expect to find in Larissa.
- The Technological Educational Institute of Larissa is a public institution, and one of the many T.E.I. schools in Greece. It has the widest selection of coursework out of any other institute in Larissa, though even these focus mainly in areas of engineering, technology, science, business and health.
- The ICBS Business College is a business school with campuses in Larissa, Athens and Thessaloniki. It provides comprehensive business programs to students around the world, as well as instruction in tourism management. It is allied with AGSM Athens, making it a leader on business education in Greece.
- The IPSA Greek Language School in Larissa, Greece, is a campus associated with IPSA study abroad program. It offers language-learning courses at multiple levels and employs professors with years of study in Greek language and literature. It even offers summer programs and small class structures.