Study in Medellin, Colombia
Study in Medellin, ColombiaMédellin has suffered a traumatic history, but true to the Colombian spirit, it has taken a terrible ordeal and turned it into a chance for change. Now, the city has shed its gloomy past with illegal drug wars and started moving towards a brighter future. The revival of Médellin’s culture and pride has led to a similar revival in its educational system. To protect its future citizens from the mistakes of the past, the city is dedicated to providing more higher educational opportunities than ever before.
Médellin is the second largest city in Colombia, but they have one of the largest pools of higher education facilities in all of South America. Most of these institutions are public universities, which enjoy government funding to boost their capabilities and possibilities. Other private institutions are also available, especially those specializing in certain fields like business or engineering. If neither of those educational styles suits a student, there are also technical schools and institutes providing excellent quality training.
For individuals wishing to pursue an immediate career, there are also higher education programs in Médellin (as well as Colombia as a whole) that provide specific job training. Such intensive training can be in fields like tourism, agriculture, business, industry, trade and many more areas.
Until recently, Médellin was an undiscovered paradise of beauty and life. For a struggling city, the amount of preserved architectural wonders, monuments and historic museums is staggering. If the sights aren’t enough, take a salsa class or a bike ride into the beautiful mountains surrounding the city. When you tire of the outdoor markets and live street performances, try some of the unforgettable local Colombian cuisine. Students won’t soon forget their experience in Médellin.
Other considerations for students hoping to study in Médellin include:
- Majority of courses taught in Spanish.
- High poverty rate.
- History of violence and crime.
Major Fields of Study in Médellin
The programs offered through schools in Médellin vary widely. Architecture, law, music, mechanical engineering and earth science, are just a handful of the available degree programs in this Colombian city. However, like many major metropolises, it has earned a reputation for excellence in some areas over others. Some of the more popular studies, which offer more programs and higher enrollment rates, are the following:
There are many more studies pursued in Médellin, including applied sciences, medicine and health sciences, but these are slightly less prevalent than those listed above.
Schools of Médellin
There are dozens of schools, universities and colleges making a home in Médellin. The following list attempts only to demonstrate some of the available options in this Colombia city. It is recommended for students to research all of the institutes in the city before deciding on a facility.
- The National University of Colombia is the most prestigious university in the nation. This public university has a primary campus in Médellin specializing in multiple science and economics fields. It is the most outstanding scientific institution in the nation, with many supporting research institutes and museums.
- EAFIT University is a private university focused in industry, technology and business. The majority of its programs are in engineering studies. It even includes an institute of technology and faculties in science, law and music. It focuses on professional development alongside academics.
- EIA is a school in Médellin also known as the Escuela de Ingenieria de Antioquia. It provides undergraduate and graduate programs, mainly in engineering studies, at it is an engineering school. Other courses include business, management and a select range of scientific studies.