Study in Ruanda, Angola
Study in Ruanda, AngolaHaving suffered its fair share of hard luck, Ruanda is an often overlooked city situated on the shores of Angola. The nation’s capital city, Ruanda – or Luanda, as it is more commonly known – displays the difficulty in accommodating huge populations with limited resources and income. Despite the disparity within the city, Luanda is still the lighted ray of hope and opportunity to many Angolans, as well as an interesting educational opportunity for national and international students.
Luanda is the most highly developed city in Angola. As a result, its educational facilities are far superior to any those in any other Angolan city. Luana includes two universities, one of which is the largest higher educational institution in all of Angola. The nearby city of Belas also includes a polytechnic institute. There is also an international school, though it caters mainly to students at or below a secondary education level. There is also a technical training institution and a Portuguese college for English-language students.
Angola’s capital city is not often cited as a great vacation spot, but students attending studies within Luanda will still find various forms of entertainment. The seafood cuisine is unlike anything else in the world, and after a hearty lunch students can unwind with a cultural and educational tour of the city – including several museums, parks and even the Palácio de Ferro, designed by Gustave Eiffel.
Other considerations for students hoping to study in Luanda include:
- Majority of courses taught in Portuguese or English.
- High crime and poverty rate.
- Limited higher education options.
Major Fields of Study in Ruanda
There are, in essence, only two concretely established higher education institutions in Luanda. However, thanks to Agostinho Neto University, students have the ability to study a huge range of course subjects – from business to fine arts to medicine. Nonetheless, the city is particularly known for certain subjects above others, as a result of it’s offered course selections and student enrollment rates. The following subjects are those considered to be the most widely taught and widely pursued in the city of Luanda.
- Social Science
There is a huge drive towards engineering and business degrees in Luanda, primarily due to the nation’s close ties with certain industries in oil, minerals and diamonds.
Schools of Ruanda
There are only two higher education institutions in Luanda. These two universities offer the majority of higher education opportunities not just in the capital city, but also in all of Angola. The only opportunities for continuing education exist in career training or language learning.
- Agostinho Neto University is the main public university in Luanda. It has a huge number of faculties in diverse studies, though the majority of them focus in health, science, engineering and medicine. It is the only higher education institution in all of Angola with significant educational status.
- The Catholic University of Angola is the first and only private, Catholic institution in Luanda. It instructs students in both English and Portuguese and offers four faculties in the sciences, engineering, law or economics. It is largely funded by foreign contributions.