Study in Saint Petersburg, Russia
Study in Saint Petersburg, RussiaSt. Petersburg started out as a bad idea that built itself up into a brilliant masterpiece. The former swamp-village now dominates Eastern Russia as a cornerstone of architectural achievement, European style and major innovation. Influenced by multiple nations across Europe, St. Petersburg is a multicultural metropolis that extends its creative spirit into the souls of its college and university students.
St. Petersburg is not just home to glorious, historic Russian architecture. It houses some of the most famous universities and other higher education institutions in the entire world. There are over three-dozen universities, academies, colleges and other institutions offering education at a post-secondary level. In fact, St. Petersburg rival even the Russian capital city of Moscow when it comes to higher education. These institutions mostly tend to specialize in certain academic areas, but there are still universities that offer broader, more general studies. Most universities are government-owned, though some have been established privately.
St. Petersburg offers a unique adventure incorporating European highlights with Russian delights. Students can first work off any extra energy with a game of basketball or a canal boat tour, then experience the grandiose theatres and operas that dazzle even the native Russians. After an unforgettable performance, students can nearly any multiethnic cuisine they wish – Russian, French, Italian, Chinese and more. From there, the sights await – from museums to palaces to plazas. The sights commemorating Peter the Great are perhaps the most famous.
Other considerations for students studying in St. Petersburg include:
- Majority of courses taught in Russian.
- Some traffic and crime issues.
Major Fields of Study in Saint Petersburg
The spectrum of higher education in St. Petersburg is so broad, there is almost no way to determine which fields of study are more prominent within the city. The presence of huge universities with multiple faculties, along with multiple specialty institutes in everything from ballet to telecommunication, means students heading towards St. Petersburg can almost certainly guarantee their preferred study is available.
St. Petersburg is one of the few world cities that have managed to establish an excellent balance of studies. From polytechnics to art schools to technological institutes, there is a wide array of facilities for students to attend, and the list of course subjects and degrees is vastly impressive. The only thing that could be said of St. Petersburg’s higher education institutions, is that a slightly higher number of engineering, technical and medical universities exist within the city.
Schools of Saint Petersburg
There are dozens of higher education institutions in St. Petersburg and all should be carefully researched and considered according to the student’s academic preference. The institutions listed below demonstrate some of the types of universities, academies and other facilities students can expect to find when they attend studies in St. Petersburg.
- Saint Petersburg State University is a public institution, considered one of the oldest in all of Russia. It has the wider number of faculties and studies than almost any other higher education institute in St. Petersburg. It leads multiple research projects and boasts an internationally diverse student body.
- The Vaganova Academy of Russian Ballet is a training academy in the art of classical ballet. It is one of the most famous and comprehensive ballet training institutes in the entire world. It also offers French-language learning, some alternative studies and children-to-young-adult programs.
- The Saint Petersburg State Institute of Technology is a two hundred year old facility that trains students in science and technology subjects, including anything from computer engineering to medicine. It is responsible for many research initiatives in science, natural resources, industry, technology and more.