Electricity, Phone, Internet, TV, Radio, Public Transportation, Banking, Postal and Other Services in Chad

You are here: Countries / Chad

The basic utility services in Chad include, among others, water and electricity, telecommunications, and transportation. These are provided by the government and the private sector and, in some cases, by private companies in coordination with the government.

The Chadian Water and Electricity Company (CWEC), a major public firm, takes in water and electricity services. The government used to hold 82% shares in the firm with the remaining 18% by the company. Four main urban areas used to be provided with water and electricity. These are N’Djamena, the capital city, Moudou, Sarh and Abeche. The country’s 22MW major power station is made up of four generators fueled by oil used to be imported from Nigeria and Cameroon. This made electricity prices in the country among the highest in the world because of equally high cost of imported petroleum. Supporting the CWEC in the water services is the National Rural Drinking Water Supply and Sanitation Program which, implemented initially in Mayo-Kebbi and Tandjile regions, aims to improve the delivery of drinking water to the rural areas and support projects that would improve the living conditions of the population.

The telecommunications sector is one of the least developed in the world but it consists locally of 11,800 fixed mainlines, 470,000 mobile cellular phones under two competing firms, 2 AM and 4 FM radio broadcast stations, one television broadcast station, and 15,000 internet users as of 2002. The transportation in the country may be viewed as follows: Road transport--Many roads are impassable during the rainy season; Water transport—Possible all-year round on Lake Chad; and Air transport—International airport in N’Djamena and a major airport in Sarh.

Share this page: