Study in Ottawa, Canada
Study in Ottawa, CanadaThe great nation of Canada wouldn’t be complete without the gleaming, multicultural metropolis of Ottawa. The nation’s capital city is more than just a home for government seats; it protects and preserves the cultural heritage of an entire country. Ottawa holds the keys to Canada’s social and ethnic treasures and boasts the most educated population in the nation. Its no wonder students find Ottawa irresistible.
Canada is a fairly well educated country, but Ottawa takes the cake. More than 50% of the city’s population possesses a college or university level degree, making Ottawa one of the most educated cities in the world. Though the city may not possess the hundreds of schools some other global cities may boast, its student population is large and dedicated to learning.
There are a variety of universities and colleges in Ottawa where students can go for higher education. These include public universities as well as private institutions. Some of the private institutions will specialize their training in certain fields, such as science or the culinary arts. Many of the schools in Canada will also have a religious affiliation, primarily with Christian and Catholic faiths. There are also a handful of colleges that offer courses in French, as opposed to English.
Since Ottawa is such a cultural paradise, students can find all manner of museums, galleries and other insightful wonders within the Canadian city. The multiethnic cuisine gives students a huge variety of options for dining, and after-dinner activities include bicycling, skating, canoeing, kayaking and tours of the city’s many parks and canals. Students can perhaps find the most thrills, however, in the cities famous bars and live music venues.
Other considerations for students in Ottawa include:
- Majority of courses taught in English or French
- Some institutions are religiously affiliated.
Major Fields of Study in Ottawa
Ottawa’s universities and colleges are diverse, but the city and its schools are better known for certain programs than others. These include some biology and biomedical studies, which are avidly studied by many students in the city’s universities. Such universities are even known to partner with research institutes and local hospitals.
The presence of many religiously affiliated institutions in Canada means the city is also an excellent place to study related fields to faith, such as theology. There are also several schools that focus in areas of design, such as fashion design or interior design. This means Ottawa has popular programs in both science and art fields. The following programs appear to be the major fields studied in Ottawa:
- Engineering (chemical, computer, etc.)
- Philosophy and theology
- Art and design
Schools of Ottawa
The following schools demonstrate some of the types of institutions students can expect when they study in Ottawa. The list does no represent all institutions available in the city, however, and there are other specialty schools or universities that students may find more fitting than the ones listed below.
- The University of Ottawa is a public university that offers courses in both English and French. It is involved in a number of medical and scientific research projects and has frequently received high academic rankings amongst higher education institutions the world over.
- Le Cordon Bleu Ottawa is a private school specializing in culinary arts training. It instructs students in pastry, gourmet and culinary techniques, preparing them for careers in restaurants around the globe. It also teaches essential skills in hospitality, customer service, business and management.
- The Dominican University College is a public institution that teaches in both English and French, possessing a Roman Catholic affiliation. It prizes spiritual growth alongside academic achievement. Most of its programs focus in theology, ethics and philosophy.