Study in Doha, Qatar
Study in Doha, QatarThe wealthy, oil-rich country of Qatar has developed into the informational and educational star of the Middle-Eastern world. Doha, the nation’s capital, is the cornerstone of that success. With over half of the country’s entire population calling the city home, Doha provides both private and public educational institutions, community colleges and educational academies. Academies of Doha are known for educating students from a primary level all the way to an undergraduate degree. In fact, some ‘colleges’ in Doha are really primary and secondary programs that precede higher education studies.
Just near Doha is a place known as Education City – a project by Qatar’s educational government branch. It includes multiple primary, secondary and higher educational institutions as part of an education initiative by the country. There are campuses from multiple US, UK and French universities, along with one Qatar-based institution. The facilities available in Education City include a Medical School of Cornell University, a School of Arts from Virginia, United States, and the Qatar Faculty of Islamic Studies.
Students who attend school in Doha can expect active nightlife and enjoyable beach activities, such as scuba diving, along with multiple athletic opportunities (from swimming to Parkour). The most famous aspect of Doha, however, is its mass media. Home to the Al-Jazeera news network headquarters, Doha is a leading figure in current event reports and controversial news coverage.
- Courses taught in both Arabic and English.
- Large international student body.
- Most schools of Qatar are foreign campuses/branches of western universities.
- Many students may wear traditional Arabic or Islamic dress.
Major Fields of Study in Doha
While conceivably any course could be pursued in Doha, Qatar, there are some programs that dominate the educational scene. Many individuals (especially those not native to Qatar) choose Doha for its Islamic and Arabic study programs, which provide in-depth teaching on religious and cultural aspects. Education – as seen by Qatar’s development of Education City – is another important area of study. Interestingly, engineering and business are also in high demand at Doha’s universities. This is seen no more evidently than with Doha’s acclaimed aeronautical college, an engineering institution specifically catering to future aeronautical experts.
Some of the most popular courses pursued in Doha include:
- Islamic and Arabic studies
Schools of Doha
What follows is a brief summary of some of the most notable schools in Doha, Qatar. There are still many other community colleges, universities, and other higher education institutions available in the city. Stud colleges in Qatar carefully, as some will be primary-to-secondary colleges that do not teach past the age of 18.
- Qatar University was the first national college of Qatar, established in 1973. It is a leader in Islamic studies but also has one of the most diverse course selections of any college in Doha. Along with degree programs, the institutions include certification programs in education and the Arabic language.
- The College of the North-Atlantic Qatar (CAN-Q) is a Canadian college with new facilities in Doha, thanks to a ten-year agreement with the State of Qatar. It is focused on technology studies and harbors some of the most state-of-the-art technology of any Qatar school.
- The Qatar Aeronautical College is an engineering school specifically geared towards aviation. It is the top school for aeronautical training in Doha, and highly sought due to the city’s extremely busy airport systems and oil transportation methods.