Study in Edinburgh, The United Kingdom
Study in Edinburgh, The United KingdomSet your sights on Scottish scenes with an educational romp through Edinburgh. The capital city of Scotland is not only a precious gem in the United Kingdom’s historical treasury, but a leading contributor to the country’s scientific research. This ancient but modernized city boasts the best educational institutions in both Scotland and the UK,
Higher education institutions in Edinburgh, like institutions across Scotland, are known to last around a year longer than other locations in the UK. Colleges and universities come as public, private or independent facilities although a majority of these are public. Like other areas in the UK, there also exist certain junior colleges (also known as sixth form schools or academies) that will educate students of ages 19 and younger.
Close to the scenic Lothians, students can either enjoy countryside retreats or the shopping paradise of Edinburgh’s West End. From Old Town to Haymarket, there are multiple opportunities to taste authentic Scottish cuisine, explore medieval sites and museums, and expand their cultural awareness. In August, students should strive to attend the Edinburgh Festival – a lively collection of music performances, art venues and cultural attractions.
Future students should also carefully consider the following aspects of Edinburgh before pursuing courses in the city:
- Majority of courses taught in English.
- Longer lasting programs that other areas of the UK.
Major Fields of Study in Edinburgh
Students of Edinburgh Schools have the opportunity to study many diverse topics. From art to science, there is no shortage of available courses for prospective individuals. However, some programs are more sought after in Edinburgh schools, due to their science facilities.
There are several universities in Edinburgh that are known as ‘research-led.’ Many of their programs, new and old, are either instated or updated according to research projects undertaken by the institution. This means many colleges and universities in Edinburgh are heavily invested in science, medicine and engineering. With close ties to a traditional Scottish countryside, degrees in environmental science and life sciences are also popular.
Some of the subjects that students in Edinburgh tend to pursue above other course choices include:
- Environmental studies
- Health science, nursing and medicine
Various art studies are also popular among many Edinburgh schools. This list, while attempting to show the top programs of Edinburgh schools, does not include all available programs.
Schools of Edinburgh
The following schools hold a respected place among the higher education institutions of Edinburgh, and also among Scottish and UK schools. While there are many more colleges and universities available to students (both within Edinburgh’s city limits and in the surrounding area), these are perhaps the most well known, representing a good degree of the educational standard in Edinburgh.
- The University of Edinburgh is one of Scotland’s famous, ancient universities. It is a public institution, several hundreds of years old, as well as a leading research institution in engineering, medicine and the sciences. It has the best reputation and highest ranking of any other higher education school in Scotland.
- Heriot-Watt University, originally the School of Arts of Edinburgh, is another research-led institute located in Edinburgh. It includes the oldest research park in the United Kingdom, and two other campuses in Stromness, Scotland and Dubai, United Arab Emirates.
- Edinburgh Napier University is another public institutions with several acclaimed research institutes. Originally a technical college, it is renowned for its business and engineering programs, but is also recognized as one of the best institutions in Edinburgh to pursue creative courses like film studies and design.