Study in Houston, The United States
Study in Houston, The United StatesIf everything’s bigger in Texas, than Houston is no exception! A global giant with a hand in multiple international industries, Houston is a booming oil town with years of success under its belt. Based in the largest of the U.S. states, its high diversity rate and range of physical and cultural activities is only matched by its educational opportunities.
The result of Houston’s massive size is an equally massive collection of higher education institutions. Aside from three distinguished community colleges, the city also has several private and public higher education institutions. These range from liberal arts colleges to technical schools to research institutions. With enrollment rates from 6,000 to 40,000, the institutions in Houston are some of the largest (as well as some of the top-rated) in the country. In fact, the educational system in Houston is so extensive it even serves areas outside the city limits.
Since Houston is home to many major corporations and billion-dollar industries, the higher education institutions that call the city home are also known for being extremely well-funded. Funded either through partnerships, donations or tuition fees, the facilities in Houston are some of the best equipped and best staffed in the world.
Houston also offers excellent extracurricular activities for blossoming students. The city is renowned for its professional sporting activities, especially football and baseball. Parks, festivals, parades and other events celebrate the city’s cultural heritage, as well as Houston’s many theatres and performing arts centers. Also, make sure to shop in the Houston Galleria, or try out the city’s famous authentic Mexican food.
Other considerations for future Houston students include:
- Majority of courses taught in English.
- Hurricanes a prevalent threat.
- Some institutions are religiously affiliated.
Major Fields of Study in Houston
Houston monstrous size allows many of its universities to establish multiple colleges focusing in hundreds of fields. With such a selection of possible courses, there is very little limitation on what students can learn in Houston schools. There are certain studies, however, that individuals will specifically travel to Houston for. An excellent example is a business degree, which is one of the highest awarded degrees in all of Houston. The presence of large research institutions in various science fields – whether separate from or part of the universities themselves – also produces a high number of science majors. This includes health science, medicine and applied sciences like engineering.
Some of the most popular studies in Houston, therefore, include:
- Science and technology
- Health science and medical fields
It is also important to note that legal studies and law also top the list as Houston’s most-sought programs. The law schools in this Texas city are some of the best in the state, as well as in the country.
Schools of Houston
The following list demonstrates some of the schools students should expect to find if they visit Houston. The types of universities listed here reflect some of the best and better-known higher education institutions in the Houston area.
- Rice University is a private university rated among the best schools in the U.S. It is a famous for a heavy research initiative, groundbreaking programs technology and medicine and a close relationship with NASA. With a huge campus and several schools, it is one of the most recognized universities in Houston.
- The University of Houston is a state university with dozens of research institutes. Both the university and its many colleges have been ranked as top schools in the country by news reports and education reviews. It has one of the top three most diverse student bodies in the entire United States.
- Houston Baptist University is a private, Baptist institution with a somewhat smaller student body than other Houston-based schools. It is deeply proud of its Christian heritage, and proposes spiritual practice alongside educational growth. It is also famous for its many athletic achievements.