Study in London, The United Kingdom
Study in London, The United KingdomIt’s indisputable that London – with its international status, legendary diversity and extensive history – tops the list in famous cities. This sprawling English metropolis has everything a traveling heart could desire: cultural attractions, natural green getaways, urban architectural achievements, an unrivaled nightlife and so much more. It isn’t just one of the top ranking tourist cities, though; it’s also the educational marvel of Europe, having established more universities and higher education institutions than anywhere else on the continent.
In the city of London alone, there are almost 50 universities, most of which associate with the massive University of London. The almost three dozen universities and schools aligned with this public school aren’t enough for London, though; previous polytechnics have recently developed to university status, and multiple foreign campuses, specialty schools, community colleges and private institutions make London the beating heart in the body of European higher education.
Tens of thousands of students attend undergraduate and postgraduate studies in the city every year, so incoming students will have no problem connecting with their preferred crowd. London is also participating in an educational expansion program, and plans to add even newer private facilities – cementing the city’s reputation as number-one in higher education.
It’s no exaggeration that London has something for everyone. With hundreds of historic sites, museums, cathedrals and galleries, sightseers won’t need to look far. Cozy markets and incredible restaurants offer cuisines from the Far East to the New West, and when students aren’t shopping at designer stores or enjoying theatre performances, they can play football in the park, ride bikes on a city tour or invest in a day trip to world-famous Stonehenge.
Other considerations for students in London include:
- Majority of courses taught in English.
- Somewhat threatening crime rate.
- Some institutions are religiously affiliated.
Major Fields of Study in London
The institutions and fields of study in London are as diverse as the cultural air of the city itself. This mixing bowl city includes every form and flavor of education it can. Within the gigantic University of London alone, there are over a dozen schools offering general studies or specific courses in medicine, education, political science, business and even lower volume studies like Oriental studies. Factoring in the multiple private schools, this leaves London with one of the most diverse and extensive course sets of anywhere in Europe – and arguably in the world.
However, there are several notable institutions in London that affect enrollment rates in certain programs. Multiple respected medical schools, business schools and performing arts schools have earned a prominent place in London. As a result, some major fields of study within London include:
- Business and business administration
- Health science, medicine and other medical studies
- Music, dance and performing arts
- Art and design
Schools of London
There are so many universities, colleges and other higher education institutions in London that it is difficult to select which ones represent the city best. The following institutions are definitely some of the most famous and comprehensive; however, there are dozens of more institutions, and students should consider their options carefully.
- The University of London is actually a compilation of multiple universities, specialty colleges and research institutes. Students who attend courses at this university will find degrees in anything from fine arts to medicine. It is one of the most famous institutions in London, with a student body of over 100,000.
- The Imperial College London is a famous, top-ranking public institution that recently gained independence from the University of London. Medicine is one of the most popular studies at the school, alongside some technology programs. This school supports multiple research projects and health facilities.
- The University of the Arts London is a public university that echoes London’s grandeur by being the largest art and design university in Europe. With several colleges specializing in fields of graphic design, fashion and more, art students from across the world find this university impressive and enlightening.