Study in Lyon, France
Study in Lyon, FranceBypass Paris to witness a city drenched in French pride – Lyons, an outstanding urban giant that managed to escape the cultural corruption saturating other major cities. Lyon is an adventurous opportunity for students, tourists and citizens at any time of year. An iconic French city, Lyon has spent the last few centuries supporting the nation’s economy while providing education to the future minds of France.
Higher education in Lyons, and in France as a whole, is offered through multiple avenues. The first is though traditional accredited universities, such as the city’s University of Lyon. Other institutions are referred to as ‘grand écoles.’ These are higher education institutions that may offer either generalized studies or focus in certain fields, such as business or technology. The city includes undergraduate and graduate schools, as well as private international institutions.
Though Lyon does not top the list of preferred education destinations, it is definitely one of the most major purveyors of higher education in France. Several of the city’s institutions enjoy high rankings, both among native French schools and European institutions. The three separate universities compromising the University of Lyon are especially well respected.
There is never a dull moment in Lyon. When students aren’t standing in awe of the architectural wonders scattering the city (cathedrals, operas and more) they can enjoy elegant museums, unique markets and a variety of multinational dining options. Students can taste delectable local wines before skating, biking or even taking a motorcycle tour.
Some other considerations for students in Lyon include:
- Majority of courses taught in French.
Major Fields of Study in Lyon
There are dozens of higher education institutions in Lyon, many of which specialize in certain subject areas. Most of the schools students will discover in Lyon, however, may be selective about the programs they offer: only undergraduate, or only graduate levels in certain fields. All together, Lyon offers a diverse selection of courses. However, the presence of specialty schools and the atmosphere of Lyon itself significantly affects the courses students choose to take.
Observing the amount of courses offered, student enrollment in individual programs and the affecting cultural of Lyon, it appears the following fields of study enjoy a higher degree of popularity and attendance than others in the city:
- Engineering and computer science
- Business and management
Business is an especially popular field of study in Lyon. Not only are there more business schools and courses than almost any other higher education subject, but the city of Lyon is a commercial hub with deep investments in local and international business.
Schools of Lyon
The following schools are just a few of the available higher education institutions in Lyon. They offer a glimpse into the diversity and educational standard of Lyon’s schools.
- The University of Lyon is actually made of three universities, which altogether provide an impressive range of studies. It offers doctorate studies along with other education programs and supports technology-focused research projects. It also has an international program with associations in places like Shanghai.
- The ESDES School of Business and Management is a private business school associated with the Catholic University of Lyon. It requires students to undergo foreign language speaking courses, as much of its coursework is focused on international business.
- Lyon also has an École des Beaux-Arts, a fine arts school with multiple establishments throughout France. It hosts multiple art exhibitions in classical, modern, graphic and other art styles. Design, painting and other studies are also offered at the school, along with international programs in multiple countries.