Study in Montpellier, France
Study in Montpellier, FranceThe roots of Montpellier run deep – all the way back to the Roman era. This historic city is absolutely essential to the preservation of French heritage, an iconic landmark establishing the longevity and endurance of this European nation. True to form, Montpellier also reflects the longstanding importance of higher education to the French people. With universities as old as the city itself, Montpellier is vastly experienced with centuries of educational achievements.
Montpellier has one of the oldest histories of higher education of any French city. In fact, one of its universities is among the oldest in the entire world – around 800 years and counting. This university – the University of Montpellier – is associated with two others and offers a huge variety of studies.
Another avenue for higher education instruction lies in ‘grand écoles.’ These schools provide post-secondary education in certain fields, such as chemistry or business. There are a handful of them available in Montpellier, and they typically offer undergraduate degrees or other certifications, as opposed to graduate degrees.
In a city with such an ancient history, it’s no surprise to find historic landmarks on many street corners. From the 17th century architectural achievements to the archaeological and historical museums, there’s no shortage of age-old sites. If students are seeking a more modern activity, however, they can find an excellent number of clubs, bars, music venues and even discos for dancing the night away. The city is also an excellent place to go shopping for French novels and fresh produce in outdoor markets.
Other considerations for students hoping to study in Montpellier include:
- Majority of courses taught in French.
- High student population.
Major Fields of Study in Montpellier
The ratio of students to citizens in Montpellier is relatively high; it is one of the most popular city destinations for undergraduate and graduate programs in France. Thanks to the outstanding University of Montpellier, there is a wide range of programs in faculties like psychology, physics and medicine. The history of the universities, though turbulent, has created a solid foundation for many different studies.
Nonetheless, Montpellier cannot escape a reputation of excellence in certain areas. The universities may provide a wide range of programs, but student enrollment rates and the existence of other specialty institutions have swayed the city’s educational focuses. Considering the amount, popularity and quality of programs currently available in Montpellier, the following studies are most prominent:
- Sciences (chemistry, physics, etc.)
- Engineering (mainly chemical)
Since the city is home to one of the nation’s private aviation schools, studies in aeronautics and aerospace are also popular with a certain portion of the student body.
Schools of Montpellier
Unlike the larger cities in France, Montpellier has more limitations on the higher education opportunities it provides. There are still, however, many places both national and international students can study their preferred fields in Montpellier. The following schools are just a few of the higher education opportunities available in Montpellier.
- University of Montpellier, or soon-to-be-known-as the University Montpellier South of France, is a public institution composed of three separate universities. Together, they offer a huge range of studies in everything from pharmaceuticals to language.
- ENSCM or the École Nationale Superiéure de Chimie de Montpellier is a grand école focusing in engineering and advanced scientific studies, such as molecular chemistry. It undergoes multiple research programs in health, medicine and other science fields, and includes international exchange programs.
- The French Aviation University, or the École Nationale de l’Aviation Civile, is a grand école offering graduate level programs in aeronautic related studies. It trains technicians, engineers, pilots, managers, traffic controllers and other experts in careers related to airlines and aeronautic technology and transport.