Study in Perth, Australia
Study in Perth, AustraliaRelaxed but busy, populous but not overcrowded, urban but beautiful, Perth is an enjoyable contradiction for almost anyone. Perth offers up a fast-growing marketplace alongside some of the most serene landscapes any Australian could hope for. A mixture of fun, freedom, work and play, Perth isn’t just a great place to seek out a vacation or a job opportunity – it’s a prime location for students seeking solace in some high-quality higher education.
Educational opportunities in Perth, as with Western Australia in general, are offered from several different types of institutions. Both private and public universities make up the greatest part of educational opportunities; advanced education colleges, art academies, technical schools (or polytechnics), training organizations and further education institutions make up the remainder. State-created technical and further education universities, known as TAFEs, do not offer as complete study programs as higher education institutions, though they do offer certificates and diplomas.
Personally, the city of Perth has an impressively diverse array of higher educational institutes. The universities are mostly public, with one outstanding private university, and a number of other facilities trained in higher education. It is one of the most popular cities for students in Western Australia.
The landscape of Perth is refreshingly less urban than most capital cities. This lovely city is bordered by sandy beaches, botanical gardens and even shade-covered bicycle paths. Even the manmade sights hearken back to nature – the fantastic Aquarium of Western Australia and Perth Zoo are two trips that can’t be missed. When students aren’t too busy swimming, surfing, whale watching or taking a helicopter tour, they can relax at a local restaurant and enjoy some amazing international cuisine. Students can even complete the full Perth experience by catching an outdoor film.
Other considerations for future students of Perth include:
- Majority of courses taught in English.
- Hot weather and dehydration risks.
Major Fields of Study in Perth
There are many diverse study fields available to students in Perth. The multiple faculties at each university make it possible for students to pursue nearly any course of study. Some schools even possess facilities for cultural studies not found anywhere else in the world – such as the Centre for Aboriginal Studies. If students are seeking degrees or education in fields directly related to Australian culture, these institutions would be top choices.
If certain major fields of study had to be chosen to represent the city of Perth, they would nearly all fall into business, technical and science categories. The following subjects are a few of the most widely studied in Perth:
- Engineering (agricultural, chemical, petroleum, etc.)
- Health science
Education is also a hugely popular field for many Perth students, and most universities will provide entire faculties dedicated to this study. A number of TAFE institutes in the Perth area also provide technical training in areas like aerospace, engineering, communication and technology.
Schools of Perth
There are at least six universities and four TAFE institutes in Perth. Students should choose their preferred institution based on the preferred degree level and area of study. The following schools are just a few of the notable institutions of higher education in the area:
- Curtin University is a public institution with a large range of study areas. However, its most competitive studies are in engineering subjects, especially as it related to industrial, agricultural and chemical engineering. The school partners with the two other institutes to support these programs.
- The University of Western Australia is one of the largest and most academically diverse universities in Perth. It leads developing research projects in math, earth science, economics, medical science and more. It is also deeply involved in evolving industries and energy-related initiatives.
- The Central institute of Technology is a TAFE institution with hundreds of offered courses. It offers varying certificate and diploma levels in subjects like business, tourism, health, engineering, physics and more. It has a large international student body and offers English-language learning courses.