The USC (University of Southern California) Language Academy, also known as the USC International Academy, is a language school that offers intensive courses in the English language for international students studying and living abroad. Offering elite education and personalized preparation, the University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities and for more than 12 years has been ranked
the number one destination for international students in the U.S.
About USC and the Academy
Internationally recognized for strong academic departments and cutting-edge research, the University of Southern California is home to more than 40,000 students from more than 150 countries and has 300,000+ alumni worldwide.
Located in Los Angeles, California—a world-class center for arts, technology, and international trade—USC is among a small number of institutions around the globe on which the world depends for a steady stream of new knowledge, art, and innovation.
At USC Language Academy, international students will encounter different perspectives, experience new cultures, and collaborate with influential scholars and professionals who are making a meaningful impact in countless fields. Among the school’s many accomplishments are:
- Leads the nation in international student enrollment
- Is ranked among the top 25 universities in the U.S.
- Distinguished programs across 18 professional schools and the Dornsife College of Letters, Arts, and Sciences
- Vibrant campus life: 850+ student organizations; innovative arts & humanities initiative
- Co-founder of the Association of Pacific Rim Universities, a consortium of leaders from top research institutions throughout the Pacific Rim
- A USC Family that is a dedicated network of alumni committed to developing strategic professional and lifelong relationships worldwide
USC Language Academy: About the Program
According to the school’s website, the English language learning courses at the USC Language Academy are “intensive, immersive and invaluable.” This statement underscores the importance USC places on English-language learning for international students now residing in the United States.
The Intensive English Programs at USC Language Academy allows students to achieve all of the academic and professional goals through personalized English language instruction, cultural activities, and support offered at six convenient start dates each year.
The Intensive English Program courses are carefully developed to meet the diverse needs of each student’s unique skill set and goals across all levels of language proficiency, ranging from beginner to advanced.
Class sizes are intentionally kept very small (15 students per class on average) and the instruction is highly interactive, giving students the opportunity to receive individualized attention, to collaborate with one another, and to optimize their overall learning experience. Students attend class for approximately 20 hours each week, and can supplement their in-class studies with available language labs and conversation groups, as well as cultural excursions to places nearby where they can practice their newly-learned skills.
The Courses at the USC Language Academy focus on reading, writing, listening, speaking, and pronunciation, all taught by USC faculty with decades of collective experience in language instruction. Students also have their choice of elective courses, meant to complement their academic program, and can participate in conversation groups with American USC students each week.
Some of the benefits of attending the renowned USC Language Academy include:
- High-quality English instruction in small, interactive classes held on USC’s campus
- Elective courses and language labs geared to student interests
- Support from a dedicated team of academic, immigration, and student advisers
- Full access to campus facilities: libraries and computer labs, medical center, gym, swimming pool, restaurants and cafes
- Cultural programming in Los Angeles and campus immersion activities
- University housing available year-round
At the USC Language Academy, the experience of new-language learning extends far beyond the classroom to the bustling center of the University of Southern California campus and the historic and cultural landmarks of Los Angeles, California. Weekly conversation groups, educational seminars, and social outings are just some of the ways the students at the Academy can practice their English language skills, meet new friends, and explore life in this exciting U.S. city.
- Philology, Languages, Literature
- Language Courses
- Language Courses and Cultural Immersion Programs
938 W. 34th St., HSS Building 90089, Los Angeles, California, The United States, 90089