Study in Fortaleza, Brazil
Study in Fortaleza, BrazilBypass Rio de Janeiro and head north to explore one of the hidden gems of Brazil’s many gleaming metropolises – Fortaleza, the newest and brightest destination for tourists and students alike. As one of the largest cities in Brazil, Fortaleza not only provides a colorful cultural atmosphere, but also a rich learning experience unlike anywhere else in the world.
With a range of public and private institutions, Fortaleza is the well-kept educational secret of Brazilian cities.
Public universities are recommended in Fortaleza, due to their significant government funding, but some private universities have a glowing reputation as well. With some universities established over 200 years ago, Fortaleza has built diverse, higher educational institutions with multi-disciplinary approaches, along with schools specializing in a specific course content.
Several types of degrees are available in Brazil. Like many countries, Brazil offers a three-stage bachelor, master and doctoral degree. Students can also obtain a licentiate, which is equivalent to a teacher’s certification, or a 2-3 year technical degree.
Fortaleza is world-famous for its golden beaches, as it possesses one of the longest stretches of coastline in the country; those looking for sun and sand will appreciate the weather and beauty of Brazil’s northern metropolis. Students who enjoy dancing, music, shopping and a vibrant nightlife will also find their calling in the city streets – and for the historically and culturally inclined, a variety of monuments, cathedrals and other attractions await in Fortaleza.
Students who enjoy the idea of studying in Fortaleza should also consider that, in this Brazilian city:
- The majority of courses are taught in Portuguese.
- One of the safer city in Brazil, although still reports of criminal activity.
Major Fields of Study in Fortaleza
Fortaleza is well known for its acclaimed research institutions, which are some of the most well funded in Brazil. As a result, the most popular courses in Fortaleza include the sciences – ranging anywhere from chemistry to biomedicine – and medical services. Nursing programs, medicinal studies and even veterinary courses abound in Fortaleza’s schools. So, although the city is rich in culture and historical integrity, most majors are in the science areas – as opposed to arts and humanities.
Many students who pursue academics in Fortaleza undergo educational courses in the following areas:
- Technology, IT or computer science
- Health sciences, nursing and medicine
- Veterinary medicine
- Sciences (physics, etc.)
The examples listed here, however, do not display all of the courses offered in Fortaleza’s institutions – just the ones that students tend to pursue more often.
Schools of Fortaleza
There are many colleges and universities in Fortaleza currently enrolling, so prospective students should research Brazilian institutions or contact local information services for further guidance in choosing a school. Some of the most prominent examples of successful schools in Fortaleza include:
- The Federal University of Ceará is a public institution with no tuition requirements. Students at this university can expect some of the best courses in science, technology, engineering and education, while enjoying an active campus life overflowing with museums and theatrical performances.
- The Universidade Estadual do Ceará is based in a small neighborhood of Fortaleza and includes some of the most comprehensive science and veterinary medicine programs in Brazil. It has a number of research centers in the sciences, technologies and humanities. The school is involved in international outreach programs and research projects.
- The Universidade de Fortaleza is the most popular private university in Fortaleza. The school schedules multiple lectures, discussions and student support groups, while offering some of the most comprehensive academic programs in all of Brazil.