Studies & Degrees in Audio Engineering
Choose where you would like to study Audio Engineering:IndiaThe United States
Beautiful, melodious sound becomes music to the ears that relaxes the mind and soothes the spirit. Where does sound comes from, how is it formed and created? The answer could be science; the science that deals with the sound, its recording and reproduction through mechanical and electronic process - Audio Engineering.
The mechanized reproduction of music began by Thomas Edison in 1877 through his Phonograph, the first practical sound recording and reproduction device. It is the start of a career for those who love music and wants to capture sound, record, copy, edit, mix and reproduce using mechanized apparatus and electronic gadgets.
Audio Engineering, a part of audio science attracts on many disciplines such as electrical engineering, acoustic, psychoacoustics and music. In contrast to acoustical engineering which deals with noise control or acoustical design, audio engineering concerns the creative and practical aspect of sound.
To the student, Audio Engineering gives familiarity to the outline, fitting in, and operation of sound recording or broadcasting equipment. One important asset a student possesses is his excellence in Mathematics. He becomes a skilled reproducer of sounds, electronics, acoustics, music, and trains in different kinds of recording media.
The student learns about digital multiple track recorders which now is the outmoded analog tape, knowledge in computer, software and hardware integration, and synchronization of analog to digital transfers.
The student acquires the knowledge of audio equipment, recording facilities, editing, mixing, and stages of production. Audio engineers are being referred to as audio technicians. After their scuffling with the course, they could be recording engineers or sound engineers, depending on the particular field they embark, especially when the expertise comes within the realm of sound in movies.
Students that become Audio engineers are active in commercial production that draws them to the borderline of a sound engineer. He can be a studio engineer or a producer. He is also a recording engineer, an assistant engineer, a mixing engineer, a mastering engineer. In some other calling, the Audio engineer is an expert and a specialist.
The student should understand the professional branches of his chosen career:
● Studio engineer works within a studio facility, either independently or with a producer.
● Recording engineer records sounds.
● Assistant engineer assists full-time engineers with microphone setups, session breakdowns, and rough mixes.
● Mixing engineer creates mixes of multi-track recordings.
● Mastering engineer mixes the final stereo tracks that the mix engineer creates. He makes final adjustments to overall sound of the record before commercial duplication using the principles of equalization and compression for a good sound.
● Live sound engineer deals with live sound reinforcement that include planning and installation of speakers, cabling and equipment, and mixing sound during the show.
● Game audio design engineer deals with sound aspect of game development.
● Foldback or Monitor engineer, System engineer, Audio post engineer are aspect of the professional sphere.
A Bachelors Degree in Audio Engineering is a standard prerequisite for advance position, and the level of education changes the scope of employment between music and performing arts to architectural sound planning. This interesting job makes more fascinating although an Audio Engineer works hard like a superman.