Other typical responsibilities of a Tax Preparer are the following:
- Computes, prepares, and releases documents connected to accounts for instance, bills, inventory reports, invoices, and other financial statements utilizing manual and computer systems.
- Validates and settle transactions such as payroll, invoices, account receivable and payable, cheque requisitions, purchase orders and bank statements.
- Collects data and documents regarding budget based on approximated or figured income, operating expense and previous financial statement.
- Prepares the outlay reports.
- Estimates cost of materials based on price lists and quotations.
- Takes action to client queries.
- Does clerical tasks, like filing of record, photocopying and faxing.
Tax Preparers must maintain privacy or confidentiality of the entire customers and business or establishment information. They normally work under the management of certified public accountant, attorney and tax consultant and some Tax Preparers work as a freelance. Generally, the tax preparing is not a regular year around occupation. The occupied or fully engaged season for a Tax Preparer is from January to April.
Tax Preparer must have the ability to work on their own initiative in a fast placed environment to cope with the target deadlines. Knowledge in preparing business tax returns is also an advantage. They must be willing to learn the computer software application in tax preparation which is necessary to accomplish or perform everyday responsibilities.
Some of the character traits and aptitude that are needed for this kind of career include being flexible, motivated, achiever, outgoing person, organizational skills, oral and written abilities, interpersonal skills, abilities in figures and mathematical formulas, knowledge in computer tax preparation software (TurboTax, TaxCut and TaxACT) and expertise in general accounting and current tax laws is an additional factor or advantage.
The required education for a Tax Preparer is a 4-year college degree or at least 2-year associate degree in related field. There are several training courses and certifications that offer different levels of erudition or learning and advancement of knowledge with regard to business and corporate taxes, personal income taxes, tax credits and other categories of taxes.
According to the salary survey report, the approximate salary for Tax Preparer particularly in New York, New York, Los Angeles, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Denver, Phoenix, Indianapolis and Orlando ranges from 30,000 to $70,000 per year. But it also depends to the company, location, duties and responsibilities, projects and level of expertise.