The Film Directors are best identified with their artistic signatures and presentations of distinctive marks to the films they make. Notable Film Directors such as Steven Spielberg, Woody Allen, Quentin Tarantino, George Lucas, and Akira Kurosawa who can also write their own scripts are good examples of talents who are born to direct films that have clear-cut branding.
However, they themselves have become students once in their life who were pursuing techniques and strategies that are related to both artistic and non-artistic elements of film. Such elements may include script approval, casting notes, marketing, contract negotiation, and financing among others. To ensure the film to get creatively produced and bring together to achieve a single totality is the main task of a Film Director.
Film Directors are responsible in executing the following tasks to come up with an artistic and genuine film:
- Determination of the final outcome of the film based upon the requirements previously set such as the script, the camerawork, editing, and acting among others.
- Concentration on the execution of the film’s script, smooth flow of narrative, dialogue patterns of the actors, and performance of the actors. In fact, even nuances and gestures should be well-handled by the assigned Film Director.
- Presentation and execution of camerawork can also be done by the Film Director to ensure the highest quality of output. Though editing is still a big deal in the end, the polishing of every scene should be gradually done during the filming process.
- Application of film theories and frameworks to the film being directed by Film Director is also a major part of the whole process which the Film Director needs to control.
- Execution of the artistic vision set by the Film Director himself is employed to define a well sense of meaning out of the film being created.
The task and responsibility of the Film Director is not confined to translating the written word or the script into specific sounds and images but doing the process with basis, with creativity, with unique meaning, and with predetermined results. As the Film Director establishes the point of view set to be presented by the movie or film, all the elements needed in film making will come together to produce a well-directed film.
The personal vision of the Film Director is what makes the entire film. As the Film Director reads and visualizes what is written, a personal vision on its consciousness starts to materialize and begin to transform into a film that is directed the way the Film Director thinks it should be told. In the end, it is always the personal touch, the Film Director’s unique vision that will dominate and overshadow the whole film.