Study in Düsseldorf, Germany
Study in Düsseldorf, GermanyStudents can feel free to wander down the lively streets of Germany’s fashion and art capital. This ‘Paris of Germany’ is a wellspring of artistic and cultural knowledge, brimming over with commercial industry. A wealthy German city rooted in rich history, Düsseldorf also provides some of most sought-after colleges and universities throughout all of Europe. Like much of the continent, Germany has long been dedicated to educational reform, revision and communication, resulting in some of the world’s most top-quality institutions.
Art and fashion schools have long been the heart of Germany’s higher education programs, and students from across the world flock to Düsseldorf to join the rank of its many famous artists. With an average student body of 10,000 students, the city is not only one of the wealthiest in the country, but also possesses one of the highest post-secondary enrollments of any German city.
The city’s famous trade fairs are a delightful shopping jaunt for students, and the seasonal fashion shows hosted in Düsseldorf are absolutely legendary. Even if students don’t find art exhibitions, museums or operas entertaining, they can still find an after-class drink at some world famous bars and clubs.
Some considerations for students possibly studying in Düsseldorf include:
- Major language is German, followed closely by English.
- Richest German city means somewhat high cost of living.
Major Fields of Study in Düsseldorf
Cultural and artistic studies are the primary focus of many Düsseldorf students, along with media and commercial interests. This focus on the arts is prevalent throughout the city, not just on college campuses. The student population is typically highly creative and innovative, extending their studies into areas of music, fashion, fine arts, design, media, film and architecture. Architectural and design schools continue to emerge in the city.
While there are multiple other study opportunities – such as in law, business, biology and economics – they are not usually as popular to students learning in Düsseldorf. Claiming the title of Germany’s artistic capital has decreased the amount of national and international students attending college for science, math or medical degrees.
As a result, the most popular courses of study to students in Düsseldorf include:
- Art and design
- Film and media
Again, students may pursue multiple other studies in Düsseldorf – this list only serves as an outline of the major, recommended programs available in Düsseldorf.
Schools of Düsseldorf
A majority of colleges and universities in Düsseldorf are specialty schools in areas of art, design, architecture, music or media. There are, however, several larger institutions that offer broader courses of study. These are just a few of the major schools currently enrolling students in Düsseldorf.
- The University of Düsseldorf or the Heinrich Heine University provides a broad range of course content with over 50 majors. Unlike many other schools in Düsseldorf, it focuses in faculties of law, science and economics. It also possesses six collaborative research centers and five research training groups.
- Kunstakademie Düsseldorf is a famed Arts Academy and one of Germany’s most prized institutions. It offers degrees in various art and design subjects and is responsible for producing some of the most renowned painters and sculptors of the last 200 years.
- Akademie Mode & Design (AMD) is a private fashion school run by the state. Though it only offers bachelor degree programs, it is a small but successful fashion school that produces some of the best designers in the world. The school has several other campuses in other German cities.