Study in Ibiza, Spain
Study in Ibiza, SpainStudents might know the Spanish island of Ibiza as a summer vacation getaway, but this little community is much more than a co-ed’s party paradise. The rocking reputation of Ibiza extends past the packed nightclubs and into select areas of higher education. The tiny island is a secret haven for certain students desiring an easy-paced educational experience.
Unfortunately, there are very few choices available on Ibiza itself in respect to higher education institutions. Many of the options available are through academies or international schools, which train individuals from primary to post-secondary grades. These schools, however, only provide limited training and aim to prepare students for universities, rather than award degrees. Another option includes several specialty schools and a university campus associated with the University of the Balearic Islands. There are also several language schools, which mainly provide instruction in Spanish.
The island of Ibiza is a fantastic location to encourage student growth and activity. The nightlife is a definite highlight of the region, as Ibiza’s clubs and bars are extensive. However, large areas are also protected as World Heritage Sites, leaving many beaches, landmarks and landscapes untouched by developers – the perfect spots for students to relax, swim, parasail or study. Local cuisine is seafood-heavy and unique to Ibiza, and festivals are held on the beaches year-round.
Some other considerations for future students in Ibiza include:
- Major languages are Catalan and Spanish.
- Limited higher education options.
- Sometimes riotous nightlife.
Major Fields of Study in Ibiza
The small island of Ibiza is limited on higher educational opportunities, due to the scarcity of diverse institutions. However, thanks to the presence of academies, language schools and specialty colleges, there is a slightly more dynamic range of courses available on the island.
The most prevalent schools on the island are language schools, making Ibiza a number one destination for students seeking studies in Spanish. These programs are open to international candidates as well as local citizens. Another significant specialty school that often appears on Ibiza is a scuba or diving school. These colleges offer a range of beginner and professional courses focusing in scuba diving, diving education and rescue. The completion of these programs leads students to be scuba instructors, assistants and safety consultants.
With the addition of a campus from the University of the Balearic Islands (known as the Head of Ibiza and Formenta) students can attend university studies through an extended program. Possible studies here include nursing, business, tourism, early education, law and social education. As a result of these institutions and high tourist rates, some of the more popular studies individuals pursue on Ibiza include:
- Spanish language
- Scuba diving and rescue
Schools of Ibiza
Ibiza has several institutions geared towards education at a post-secondary level. The following list illustrates some of colleges, universities and other institutions based on Ibiza, and their relative fields of study.
- The University of the Balearic Islands has an extended campus on Ibiza. It offers bachelor and master degree programs in six subjects, some of which can only be studied online. With only a handful of instructors, the school is still relatively small, though it is the only university campus on the island.
- Ibiza Diving College is a specialty training school accessible to all students interested in scuba diving, rescue and related subjects. With several dive sites located in the San Antonio Bay of Ibiza, the college gives certificates in PADI, an internationally recognized diving license.
- Morna International University is actually a school catering to students from primary to post-secondary. Its higher education programs train students in areas like English, business and information technology, in order to prepare them for future studies in universities. It also has a prominent Spanish language program.