Study Modern Studies, Modern Studies Schools
Here you can find schools to study Modern Studies. Choose where you would like to study Modern Studies:CanadaIcelandIndiaSpainThe United KingdomThe United States
Modern Studies is an undergraduate degree program now being offered by many universities throughout the world. Among other things, the program is designed for students who want to explore the world of ideas, the ways of life and the social structure that traces its roots back to western countries in the early half of the 18th century. To help familiarize you with the program, in the article below we have provided a brief definition of modernity and modern studies, and outlined some of the core and elective curriculum you’ll encounter as you pursue this enlightening degree.
About the Bachelor of Arts Degree in Modern Studies
The term “Modern Studies” refers to an interdisciplinary branch of study in the field of humanities that deals with the origins of our present way of life and the changes that have since ensued. The reason these studies are called “interdisciplinary” is because they involve a multi-lateral approach to the study of the present, an approach that evokes elements of history, philosophy, literature and other branches of the social sciences.
Students who pursue a Bachelor of Arts degree in Modern Studies will explore the history of thought, writings and events that took place from the middle of the 1700s to the present—a time when superstition and religion were replaced by scientifically-based logic. The program, which typically spans four years or eight full semesters in duration, includes both core and elective coursework, with class titles that may include:
- Deconstructing the 20th Century
- Industrialization and Globalization in the Modern World
- The Concept of Modernity
- Qualitative Research Methods in the Study of Modernity
- Gender Studies
- Introduction to Modern Journalism and Media Studies
- History of Ideas
- Modern Studies Seminar I-IV
- Critical Analysis of Information
- Ethics and Moral Controversy
- The Study of Society
- Philosophy of Education
- Linguistic Development and Children‘s Reading
- History and Society
- International Politics
- B.A. Thesis in Modern Studies
- And more…
Why Choose Modern Studies?
Graduates with a degree in Modern Studies are very employable, especially in the teaching fields of social science and the humanities, but in addition to the many career prospects this degree can offer, there are several reasons why it makes sense to enroll in a program of this type. Some of these include:
- Modern Studies offers a broad view of the humanities and social sciences.
- Because Modern Studies explores a number of different societies, the program is ideal for those students who plan to study abroad as part of their university experience.
- A Bachelor of Arts degree in Modern Studies is a great stepping-stone program for those who plan to pursue an advanced degree in the social sciences or humanities.
To be eligible for admission into the Bachelor of Arts degree program in Modern Studies, students must possess a high school diploma or its equivalent and have strong reading, writing and research skills. Some institutions may also require a passing score on an entrance examination prior to be admitted to the university or program.