Study in Cologne, Germany
Study in Cologne, GermanyThe artistic haven of Köln – or Cologne, as it is often known – houses more than the cultural history of Germany. This ages-old city has seen the rises and falls of the world during the past centuries and still stands strong as a testament to Germany’s strength and reserve. It’s appropriate that Cologne, rooted in rich history, is also rooted in rich educational growth, possessing some of the oldest universities in all of Europe.
Amongst the many cities of Germany, Cologne is perhaps one of the better known for its higher educational institutions. A city this rooted in higher learning has certainly not diminished its respect for education since the 1300s, when its oldest university was originally founded. There is a multitude of universities and colleges, both private and public, alongside specialty academies, institutes and research centers. It boasts several achievements in higher education, not the least of which includes: one of the oldest universities in Europe; a research institute directly responsible for Germany’s space programs, and the largest performing arts conservatory on the continent. The enrollment rates for Cologne’s institutions is very impressive, with anywhere from 5,000 to 45,000 students enrolled in an institution at any given time.
Cologne is a prime location for students- who adore cultural and artistic achievements. With dozens of museums and galleries scattering the city, no art or history lover will go unsatisfied. There are also multiple historic sites worthy of a visit, including gothic cathedrals and World War II memorials. The Rhine River cuts through the city, making water tours common. Students can also go camping, bicycling or enjoy the famous beers made at local breweries.
Some considerations for students wishing to study in Köln include:
- Majority of courses taught in German, some in English.
- Some institutions are religiously affiliated.
Major Fields of Study in Köln
Cologne is well known for having versatile higher education programs. The courses offered at Cologne’s schools are as diverse as the student body that attends them. General studies in anything from mathematics to jazz dance are available to prospective students. However, due to the culturally rich and artistically minded nature of Cologne, some studies have earned more popularity, funding and comprehensive study. The rising interest in research and applied science has also swayed the popularity of some major fields.
Reviewing the courses offered by institutions, amount of student enrollment, the preferred areas of specialty schools and the environment surrounding education in Cologne, the following fields of study are likely the most commonly pursued in Cologne:
- Music studies
- Dance and performing arts
- Art and Design
- Natural science
- Biology and molecular science
- Other applied sciences
There is also a heavy emphasis in some cases on aerospace and astronomy studies, since the city of Cologne is home to many of the larger facilities associated with the German space program.
Schools of Köln
The following list describes several major colleges in the Cologne area. While these do no represent all of the higher education institutions available in the area, they do provide a general glimpse into the kinds of universities and colleges a student can expect to find in Cologne.
- The University of Cologne is a public university famous for being one of the oldest in Europe. It has multiple faculties, mainly in science studies, as opposed to the arts. It is responsible for multiple research projects in molecular studies, astronomy, biology, natural science and medicine.
- The Cologne University of Music, also known as the Hochschule für Musik und Tanz Köln, is a public college with a heavy focus in music studies. It is Germany’s largest institutions for music, teaching courses in orchestra, singing, composition, religious music, dance, music education and other musical studies.
- The Academy of Media Arts College is a public college, focusing in areas of art and film, or visual media. It offers degree programs alongside real-world application and practice. Productions from students have earned several notable awards, and the college boasts an excellent international exchange program.