Study in Salvador, Brazil
Study in Salvador, BrazilIf cities could be counted treasures, than Salvador da Bahia would be the crown jewel of Brazil. This gorgeous metropolis prizes beauty and bliss above all else, foregoing the dismal smog of city congestion for colorful architecture, lively crowds and a richly preserved heritage. As one of the few major cities in the world capable of keeping clean, visual splendor for its guests, Salvador da Bahia is also an amazingly unique destination for students from around the globe.
Higher education is readily available in Salvador da Bahia (often referred to as simply ‘Bahia’). Not only are there at least four universities calling the city home, but several technical institutes, colleges and specialty schools are available for post-secondary academic studies and career training. There are even some institutions that specifically offer intensive courses in language learning, particularly Portuguese (the national language). Students should beware, however, that some ‘academies’ and ‘colleges’ do not cater to post-secondary students; they remain at the secondary school level, do no award degrees, and often do not submit students unless they are under a certain age.
Salvador da Bahia is one of the most exciting places a student can choose to study. The city has preserved its history so well, it practically speaks from the stones. Colonial buildings, 18-century sites, cultural museums and even a Portuguese fortress devise a picture of Salvador’s past. The multiethnic spirit is present even in the food, and students shouldn’t miss the opportunity to try some Afro-Brazilian food before takings a dance class, visiting a bar or attending a night market. If students don’t prefer the city life, the pristine, sandy beaches just outside the main metropolis offer swimming, surfing, boating, parasailing and more.
Other considerations for students hoping to study in Salvador include:
- Majority of courses taught in Portuguese.
- Some institutions are religiously affiliated.
Major Fields of Study in Salvador
The presence of many major universities with multiple diverse fields makes Salvador another world city capable of delivering nearly any higher education course of study. This does not mean, however, that some studies fall by the wayside, while others acquire higher popularity and support. Major fields of study in Salvador da Bahia are fairly eclectic, though they do tend to stay focused in the areas of technology, science and medicine. Almost all schools have nursing programs and degree courses in various technology studies. The resulting major fields of study in Salvador are as follows:
- r Computer science
Schools of Salvador
The following universities, institutes and colleges deserve a special mention for being some of the most prestigious higher education institutions in Brazil. They will also provide students with some idea as to what to expect when thy pursue studies in Salvador da Bahia.
- The Federal University of Bahia is the largest public university in Salvador. It offers a huge variety of course selections, though it offers many more graduate programs than undergraduate. The university works closely with local communities in order to create and provide applicable classes and services.
- The Instituto Federal da Bahia is a unique educational institute that provides courses at both the secondary and post-secondary levels. It offers courses in agriculture, engineering, electronics, technology, science, natural resources, nursing, industry, environmental studies and much more.
- The Universidade Católica do Salvador is a private, Roman Catholic university with a huge number of faculties in areas throughout the city of Salvador. It offers both interdisciplinary courses providing a broad range of knowledge, as well as specialized technical courses for training it certain fields.