About the Centro Superior de Hostelería de Galicia
The Centro Superior de Hostelería de Galicia (CSHG), or the “Hotel Management School of Galicia,” is a higher education center specializing in the training of hotel and kitchen managers. To accomplish this, the center uses an up-to-date and efficient methodology, with which students can achieve the highest professional levels in their chosen future careers.
The strategic importance of tourism in Galicia and the necessity of qualified hotel management professionals led the Galician government to create the Hotel Management School of Galicia in 1993. Two years after, the first academic course was offered. Since 1995, the first year in which the course Diploma in Hospitality Business Management started, the CSHG has trained over 1,200 hotel managers, who are currently working in hotel and tourism companies all over the world.
The Centro Superior de Hostelería de Galicia project started in 1993 as a solution to the necessities the hotel management sector had regarding qualified hotel managers. Thus, the Xunta de Galicia developed an ambitious project to train future professionals through the company in charge of the promotion of tourism in Galicia, a company known as “TURGALICIA, S. A.”
The CSHG center is located in La Barcia, a quiet and natural area surrounded with gardens and sports facilities, which provide students with the needed balance between their academic duties and aesthetic appreciation. The idea behind the CSHG was to create a prestigious school, with the best results and the most efficient methodology. To achieve this goal, the project garnered the full support of the University of Santiago de Compostela (USC) and Switzerland’s L´École Hôtelière de Lausanne (EHL). The Swiss school designed the study plan, course methodology, building and distribution of classrooms and the specialized training staff.
The primary mission of the Centro Superior de Hostelería de Galicia is to impart realistic, updated and hands-on training to students—training that will then help ensure that the hotel and tourist sector will continue to be managed by qualified professionals. The CSHG provides quality and relevant information that allows students to join a specialized and demanding labor market following graduation from the program.
The CSHG also trains professionals with experience in the hotel sector, making the center a point of reference for those who want to update their companies.
All of this work takes place amid a continuously changing environment in the industry—changes which led to an internationalization of the hotel and tourism sector. The CSHG is completely aware of these consistent changes in the hotel and tourism market and thus continues to update its curriculum to match the changing times.
Organization of the Hotel Management School of Galicia
The CSHG organizes, coordinates and controls the activities within its center with the collaboration of two deputy managers:
- Deputy Manager of Operations and Work Placements: Responsible for the co-ordination and organization of work placements at firms and internal revenue management.
- Deputy Manager of Teaching, Consultancy and Marketing: Responsible for coordinating all teaching departments and managing external company training and consultancy.
This department supervises all teaching activities and provides pedagogic support to students.
Work Placement Department
This department is responsible for organizing students’ hands-on practices at tourism and hospitality companies. Every year, 400 students accomplish these work placements all over the world under CSHG coordination.
The teaching board is in charge of those supervising the evolution of each and every student through their formative process. Teachers of CSHG elaborate and develop study programs and subject contents, as well as evaluate students.
The Marketing Department is responsible for CSHG corporate image and promotion, both internally and externally, representing the center in national and international events.
Consultancy and Training
Taking advantage of its teaching staff’s expertise, CSHG offers technical advising and services to companies and institutions from the hotel and tourism sector.
Employees and Teaching Staff
A group of 62 people, including 44 teachers, are currently employed by the Hotel Management School of Galicia. The ratio is about 8.5 students per teacher, allowing great adaptation to student’s needs.
Teachers at the CSHG have an overwhelming expertise. Most of them have worked abroad for international companies, and they are continuously updating their educations, favoring the adaptation of their study plans to the new market.
Departments and Facilities at the CSHG
CSHG boasts its very own 54,000 square meter campus, complete with gardens, impressive trees and five building where the training takes place. Free WI-FI connection is available throughout the campus, and the five buildings are distributed as follows:
- Theory and Administration Building. Standing three stories high, this building is where all the school management works and where the theory classes take place.
- Restaurant Building. Simulation restaurants, in which authentic service and kitchen operations are recreated, are located in this building.
- Continual Training Building. This building hosts the Wine Tasting and Cooking Demonstration classrooms, as well as the Teaching and Consultancy Department.
- Residence Hall. Accepting up to 180 students, the school residence hall is home to border students and includes all the amenities of home, including a large reception center and an industrial laundry room.
- Multi-Sport Arena. The indoor/outdoor multi-sport arena ensures that students can not only train mentally but also physically. The building includes an indoor pitch, fitness area, outdoor five-a-side football pitch and two lighted tennis courts.
- Hospitality, Leisure, Tourism and Travel
- Hotel Management
Community or Career College, Vocational School
+34 98 154 25 19
Crtra. Noia, km. 3 A Barcia, Santiago de Compostela, La Coruña, Spain, 15896