Study in Manchester, The United Kingdom
Study in Manchester, The United KingdomMove over, London – there’s another city in England that’s taking the international world by storm. Manchester has grown from an industrial revolutionary to a globally recognized urban visionary, melding principles of the past into a marvelous, modern-day metropolis. It’s no surprise that the city of Manchester, which resides at the forefront of today’s fast-paced world, also offers some unique educational opportunities to students of higher learning.
Two main universities call Manchester home. These universities include multiple colleges and schools focusing in certain academic areas, as well as an overarching general studies program. Both of these institutions are public, so private universities do not find much ground in Manchester. There are several colleges in Manchester as well, which provide further education to students from years 16 to 18, as well as adult education programs. Many of these colleges provide university level programs.
There are some independent schools in Manchester that do not quite fall into the category of higher education, though they provide further education. Most students who attend these schools are either 18 years old or younger, and some of the institutions are known to specialize in specific areas. Chetham’s School of Music is an excellent example of this kind of independent school.
Manchester, home national teams like Manchester United, is a great place for students to practice football, learn cricket or pursue other active adventures. Students can even visit the Manchester United museum, amongst other museums and attractions like art galleries, historic mansions, observatories and parks. When the sightseeing is over, students can hear live music at a local bar or dance in a lively nightclub, feasting on multiethnic cuisine from around the world.
Other considerations for those students wishing to study in Manchester include:
- Majority of courses taught in English.
- Sometimes a rowdy nightlife.
Major Fields of Study in Manchester
Nearly all fields of study are available to students who choose to study in Manchester, especially due to the existence of specialty schools and colleges. However, the range of studies is not quite as large as in some other United Kingdom cities, and some studies receive more attention and support than others.
Of the courses offered, scientific and medical studies enjoy some popularity in Manchester, due to city’s reputation and the well-equipped, well-funded research institutes aligned with many of the schools. The city’s history in industrial growth also makes its prime location for engineering and industrial studies. Some of the most popular programs in Manchester include:
- Medicine and other medical fields (dentistry, etc.)
- Applied sciences and engineering
Manchester also has a deep involvement in the history of music, and there are several independent schools and public colleges that offer excellent music courses.
Schools of Manchester
The following list outlines several of the better-known schools in Manchester. While these schools do not represent all of the higher education institutions in the city, they are representative of the highest standard of education in the area.
- The University of Manchester is a public institution with multiple academies, acclaimed alumni and a reputation for excellence. It has high academic rankings and excellent programs in medical fields. Its research institutes are known the world over, as are its Nobel Prize winning graduates.
- The Manchester Metropolitan University is a public institute with several diverse faculties. Anything from business to hospitality to drama is available as a study program. It is also responsible for multiple research projects in areas of health, social science and more.
- The Manchester College is both a further education and higher education institute. It offers university level courses in multiple areas of business, computing, performance arts, media and accounting. They also offer international programs and work closely with future employers.