Study in Rennes, France
Study in Rennes, FranceFor those weary travelers that love the city life, but find Paris too crowded, Rennes is an exciting, lively city that still maintains a friendly, homely atmosphere. This French town never misses an opportunity to throw a celebration, and entertainment is as essential as air to the creative crowds of Rennes. The alluring, invigorating spirit of Rennes may draw students from around the world, but it’s the excellent education that keeps them there.
Rennes is one of the few cities in France where the population of students could rival the population of natives. It is an academic town with many available opportunities for national and international students. Higher education in Rennes, as with most places in France, comes in several forms. The first is through accredited universities, which often provide the most diverse and comprehensive courses of any educational facility. There are only two universities in Rennes, but there are additional training schools known as ‘grande écoles,’ which offer courses in specific subjects to students. Most grand écoles focus in certain academic areas, like political science, technology and engineering. There are also several research institutes and international schools in the area providing higher education instruction.
Rennes provides entertainment around every corner, from street performers to amazing outdoor food markets. While students snack on French delicacies, like the city’s famous crepes, they can explore the natural beauty of Thabor Park or the historic wonders of the Musée de Bretagne. Students that love the social life should head out Thursdays for live music and bar hopping – but the best part of Rennes is its affinity for festivals, which students can attend year-round.
Other considerations for students pursuing studies in Rennes include:
- Majority of courses taught in French.
- Often rowdy, sometimes dangerous nightlife.
Major Fields of Study in Rennes
The combination of University of Rennes 1 and University of Rennes 2, in essence, provides most conceivable fields of study available at a post-secondary academic level. If only these two universities existed in the area, it would be impossible to pinpoint what the major fields of study are for the city of Rennes. However, additional grand écoles and other higher education institutes make it possible to identify certain preferred subjects within Rennes. As a result of course availability and student enrollment, the following subjects can be considered the major fields of study in Rennes:
There is also a significant amount of specific programs regarding physical science, sports science, sports education and other sports-related studies in Rennes.
Schools of Rennes
The following institutions are just a few of the universities and grand écoles available in Rennes. Other institutes and specialty schools, such as those in political science, are also available to students.
- The University of Rennes 1 is one of the two public universities in Rennes. It offers courses mainly in law, business, science and technology fields, with some focuses in communication and philosophy. It leads multiple research projects in advanced science and humanities.
- The University of Rennes 2 offers the courses that the University of Rennes 1 does not; namely, language, arts, music social science, education, history and geography. The school even includes courses in the Breton and Celtic languages and supports environmental sustainability.
- Supélec, or École Supérieure d’Électricité, is a private graduate school providing engineering degrees. It is one of the top-ranking engineering schools in France and has long-standing connections with international corporations and businesses that lead to an excellent post-graduate employment rate.