Universities in Moldova

Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova

Chisinau, Moldova
The Academy of Economic Studies of Moldova is a public university based in Chişinău, Moldova. Founded in 1991, the university is organized into six faculties: Business Management and Administration; Economics and Law; International Economic Relations; Finance; Accounting; Economic Cybernetics, Statistics and Informatics. The initial purpose of the university was not only to offer various educational opportunities, but also build a new mentality in the spirit of freedom of thought, action, pragmatism and life efficiency. The university puts great emphasis in forming international... See full description.

Universities in Moldova by City:


About universities in Moldova

Moldova, known officially as the Republic of Moldova, is a small and sovereign nation located in Eastern Europe, with a total geographic area of roughly 13,000 square miles.  A completely landlocked state, the country is surrounded on all sides by Romania to the west and Ukraine to the north, east and south.  A former member of the Soviet Union, Moldova declared independence in 1991, retaining the same boundaries as the old Moldavian Soviet Socialist Republic.  The country is now a parliamentary republic, with a president as head of state and a prime minister serving as the head of government, an organizational structure that was laid out by the new Constitution of Moldova, a document drafted following independence and officially adopted in 1994.  As of the last census, Moldova had a permanent population of approximately 3.5 million, consisting primarily of native Moldavians (69%), but also of Ukrainians (11%), Russians (9%) and Gagauzes (4%), among others.  Although Ukrainian, Russian and Gagauz are all recognized as regional languages in Moldova, the official language of the country is Moldovan, a form of Romanian and the language most often used in its schools and universities.
Higher Education in Moldova
Higher education in Moldova is overseen and regulated by the Ministry of Education, which is responsible for creating educational policy and developing curriculum.  The system of higher education consists of colleges and universities, both at the public and private level.  There are currently 16 state-run and 15 private institutions of higher learning, serving roughly 126, 000 students, including 104,000 in the state institutions and 22,000 in private schools.  Over 6,000 faculty members (1 faculty member per 20 students) are employed in Moldovan universities and colleges.
When you include all of the higher education institutions in Moldova, there are approximately 90 specialties or majors available to students at the undergraduate level.  However, over half of the nation’s students (52%) major in the fields of economics, law, social sciences, or what the Moldovan Ministry of Education calls “professional formation fields.”  Another 18 percent of students study engineering and/or architecture, while approximately 16 percent major in education, usually with the goal of teaching at the primary or secondary level of education.  The remaining 14 percent study a variety of other disciplines, including natural and physical sciences, mathematics, language and literature and the humanities.  Over 80 percent of the Moldovan population must pay tuition for their studies, ranging from 120 to 430 Euros per year, while the remaining 20 percent, usually those whose families cannot afford the price of education, are granted free access to higher education.  Most students, or roughly 80 percent, receive instruction in Moldovan (Romanian), with most of the rest studying in Russian.
The credit and degree structure at Moldovan colleges and universities was recently revamped in accordance with the Bologna Process—a structural education reform that aims to standardize the credit and degree system at universities throughout the European Union, thus making it easier for students to transfer from one institution to the other.  The new system features three cycles of education: Cycle One, a three to four-year program leading to an undergraduate or Bachelor Degree; Cycle Two, a two-year program leading to a graduate or Master’s Degree; and Cycle Three, a doctoral or PhD program offered for advanced students, spanning 3-5 years depending on the field of study.

EU Business School
Bachelors, Masters, MBA's in Spain, Switzerland or Germany for English speaking international students.
CSA Study Abroad
Accredited study abroad programs all over the world for students of all levels.

Share this page: